DISCUSSIONS ON DISPUTED TEXTS
11. A SUMMARY OF OUR REJECTION OF ARMINIAN UNDERSTANDINGS OF JOHN 3:16
We now come to an end, considering the text itself, and the objections raised against our understanding of it. We will now list a summary of the main reasons why we reject the Arminian understanding of this verse (throughout the text of our discussion, we have touched on these and others, but theyíre given here again for emphasis).
1. Christ came to save the world (John 3:17; 12:47), and if He didnít save all those who are meant by the world (all individuals according to Arminians), then He has failed His purpose.
2. The world is the object of Godís love, but God has no love for every individual, but His elect alone.
3. Along with the sacrifice of Christ comes His intercession (Isaiah 53:12; Romans 8:34; Hebrews 7:25), yet Christ refused to make intercession for every single individual, but did so only for the elect of God (John 17:9, 20).
4. John defines for us elsewhere who the objects of the saving love displayed at Calvary were, the elect of God, the reprobate excluded.
5. Itís contrary to the rest of the God-given Scriptures.
We pray those of Godís children who have read this received a blessing from God, and His word, and will continue to rejoice in the free and sovereign grace of God, realizing nothing can be produced by our adversaries against such precious truths. Godís truth stands, and shall forever.
ďBUT THE WORD OF THE LORD ENDURETH FOREVER.
AND THIS IS THE WORD WHICH BY THE GOSPEL IS PREACHED UNTO YOUĒ
1 Peter 1:25
Disputed Texts Menu